You are about to do something amazing!
In only one hour, you are going to:
- Launch a product landing page
- Create an explainer video about that product
- Test whether people want the product
…even if you have no coding, design, or video production experience!
The mantra of this experience is
When it comes to MVPs, done is better than perfect!
Push yourselves to complete all of the steps within an hour. You’ll have an opportunity to go back and make tweaks later, the important thing is that you don’t spend a ton of time trying to get everything perfect the first time around. As you’ll find later on, doing that for ever experiment will end up wasting a lot of time.
Step 1: Break into Specialty Teams
To launch in 60 minutes, your team will need to split into specialized teams and work in parallel. You’ll need three Specialty Teams:
- Landing Page Team
- Video Team
- Currency Team
Decide who is going to do what and remember, no development or design experience is required, so take the one that feels most challenging – you’ll get the most out of it that way.
Step 2: Follow your Specialty Team’s Instructions
Landing Page Team Instructions
You’re in charge of creating the website customers will learn about, and purchase, your product on. Most importantly, you’re responsible for:
- Marketing copy (aka words) used on the site
- Design of the site
- Helping your teammates incorporate their work into the site
You can’t work on the site as the same time as the currency team, so your team will go first, and then their team will take over your computer after you finish.
Important: you only have 20 minutes to get the first draft of your site ready before the currency team takes over.
Remember, done is better than perfect. If you have time left after the currency team and video team finishes their work, you can make final tweaks.
- Sign up for a free account on Wix.com
- Watch the video above. It’ll show you exactly how to create your landing page.
- After 20 minutes, hand your computer over to the Currency Team
- After 40 minutes the Video Team will take over the computer to integrate their video
- Remember done is better than perfect!
Note: as Wix updates its user interface, you make see differences between what’s in the video and what you see.
Currency Team Instructions
Your team is in charge of validating real customer demand by collecting some form of “currency” from your customers.
“Currency” in this case just means something that is valuable to both you, and your customer.
Your first step to collecting currency, is choosing the form of currency you’d like to collect. Some examples are:
- Email addresses of your customers
- Credit card-based pre-orders
Note: you can’t work on the website at the same time as the landing page team. Instead, give them 20 minutes to get things setup for you, during which you should:
- Watch the video above
- Decide which currency you want to collect
- Draft the “Call to Action” you’ll use to convince your customers to give you their currency
You should take over the computer from the landing page team at the 20 minute mark, after which, you’ll have 20 minutes to do your magic before the Video team takes over the computer.
After the video team is done, you may have a couple minutes to make final tweaks. Otherwise, remember that done is better than perfect!
Currency Option #1: Email Addresses
Email addresses are the easiest form of currency to collect from your customers, but they also carry the least amount of weight in terms of validation.
While getting someone’s email address is a great step towards validating interest in your solution, it’s a far cry from collecting actual money. Just because they give you their email address, doesn’t mean they’ll pay for your product.
That said, it can often be advantageous to start off testing whether you can get email addresses from customers potentially interested in your product, and if you do, then switch over to asking for pre-orders.
To collect email addresses as your form of currency on your landing page, simply modify the contact form that your landing page team creates (it comes for free w/ Wix) – as illustrated in the video above.
Currency Option #2: Pre-Orders
The most difficult currency to acquire, but the most valuable and therefore most validating currency, is a pre-order.
If you’re ready to start taking pre-orders, you can use Wix’s storefront functionality to collect payment.
A couple things to keep in mind:
- You can create your storefront for free, but if you actually want to collect money, you’ll need to pay for an upgraded Wix account.
- If your product is not ready for use now, it’s important you make it clear customers are “Pre-ordering” a product that is still being built. Be sure to offer them a full refund if for some reason you aren’t able to deliver on your commitments.
The Currency Testing video above has complete instructions on using the Wix store for pre-orders.
Alternatively, if you’d like to take credit card based pre-orders, without actually charging someone’s credit card (i.e. their information is stored securely until you charge them at a later date – like when you launch), check out Celery.
That means you can validate demand for your product/service, without actually taking anyone’s money. If for some reason you’re not able to launch, no refunds are necessary – just send everyone an email update, and you’re done.
If you’d rather go that route:
- Create a Celery Account here: TryCelery.com
- Create a new product
- Add a button to the landing page takes customers to your Celery product page.
Remember: you only have 20 minutes to do your magic. Done is better than perfect!
Video Team Instructions
You’re in charge of describing the problem your team is solving, and how you’re solving it…with a 30 second video.
- Create a PowToon account here: PowToon.com
- Watch the video above. It’ll show you everything you need to know to create a video.
- Note: you only have 40 minutes to create your video before you need to integrate into the landing page. If you have extra time, you can always tweak your video after the first draft of the page is done.
- Remember done is better than perfect!
After 40 minutes, take over the computer used the currency team is using and start integrating your video using the steps outlined in the video. If they resist letting you integrate the video, remind them they can always make changes once you’re done, but the video must be included before you can launch.
Step 3: Launch It!
As soon as your website is launched with all three components:
- Landing page
- Explainer video
- Currency test
Email a link to your Professor, or submit the URL another way your professor prefers.
You’ve launch the foundation for your product’s website (without having to write any code). You’ve got the power to put something on the web now that your customers can see and interact with.
Now it’s time to start testing it with customers!